Effective Altruism for Christians
“Effective Altruism and Christian Theology”
Location : Bethnal Green, London, United Kingdom
Dates: 6 April through 8 April, 2019
Effective Altruism for Christians is pleased to announce its first conference, with the theme of “Effective Altruism and Christian Theology”, to take place in London in April 2019.
We welcome scholars, thinkers, activists, and students to inquire about participation in this three-day experience. The primary focus will be on working out rigorous theological foundations for our interest in applying the insights of effective altruism to the Christian life. A series of working sessions will cover various key questions in detail, especially those where there are tensions between conventional approaches to effective altruism and Christian theology. The conference will also make some time for prayer, fellowship, and discussion of movement building.
Topics on the preliminary agenda include:
* Is Christianity compatible with an emphasis on the distant future?
* Is effective altruism reflected in the life of Jesus?
* What role should prayer, calling, and discernment play in decision making?
* Ought we apply the principles of effectiveness to evangelism?
* How should Christians engage in cause prioritization, and where does the local church fit?
If you are interested in attending the conference, please contact us via the contact form, and say something briefly about your background and areas of interest.